Sunday, September 28, 2008

Update on Baby Keo

So I just wanted to let everyone know what is going on with baby Keo. He has been such a wonderful baby. He eats great and sleeps wonderfully! He is so mellow and just happy. I just love him so much and am so grateful that my Heavenly Father has sent him to us. So the story begins with a call from his doc. I didn't think much of it because he was quite jaundiced and I thought the doc was just calling to check on him. Then he started to tell me that his Metabolic screening results were back (when they poke their little heel and draw blood) One of the things they test for came back at an elevated level. So I was like okay, then he starts rambling off big names and words and all I could think of was 'what the heck is he saying'. So I went into the office later that day to get him weighed and find out the name of this disorder. My doc said he knew nothing of this certain disorder and that they needed to run more tests to see if it was a for sure thing. Of course this was on a Friday so we would have to wait all weekend. So I went home to read about this disorder which is called Glutaric Acidemia type 1 (GA1) and then I lost it. All the information I had was what I could find on the internet and it was pretty scary. Basically what it is, is the body cannot breakdown the amino acids lysine, tryptophan, and hydroxylysine. So it sends the excess to the brain and it causes brain damage (and a load of other things). So I was freaking out and I cried and cried and cried. So my husband called the neonatalist at the hospital (they are friends) and he said chances are that the test they ran was a false positive. We talked to a few nurses that said the same thing. So we had a little hope that maybe he didn't have it. So Monday arrived and we had his blood drawn and they took a urine sample. And then I asked when we would get the results back and she said maybe two weeks ,TWO WEEKS! That is forever. In the mean time Keo had an appointment that next Friday to get, um, his little boy parts taken care of. So we went in and the doc came in and said well, we got the results back from his test. He seemed quite chipper and I though yea, its good news. Then he said that the results were real. He really had it. I just started bawling. First of all, some little facts about this GA1, there are only 100 cases in the US, second, we did not fit the profile to be carriers of this gene (it is genetic), and third, Keo was being a great baby. Anyway my doc had very little info and was trying to set up an appointment at Primary Children's. They were being very difficult and the Doctor was out of the country. So once again, on a Friday, we will have to wait till Monday to see when we can get an appointment. I have been a mess, yet at the same time I am very comforted. We have had many blessings and prayers and with each one I feel better about the whole situation. I am amazed at how my Heavenly Father has helped comfort me and helped me remain sane. I know he is by my side and I know he will take care of my little Keo as well as my family. Keo has to be on a special diet (low protein) and it is very crucial that he not be around anyone that is sick. He cannot even get a fever or we will have to rush him to the hospital for an IV. He also has to be on a few meds. As long as we are very strict about these things he should be okay. I have faith that we will be taken care of no matter what happens, even though it may be hard and scary. I am so thankful to my Heavenly Father for this precious little boy. Thanks to everyone for their prayers and love and all the help we have recieved.


14 comments:

Roylance Rec. Center said...

Erin your boys are so handsome...and their lips. i want to kiss um' and hug um'.
Love ya friend
Ali

the Arpkes said...

Erin,
You are so strong and I know the Lord is with you! Baby Keo is a fighter! He is such a doll. I am so glad that your other children are healthy and do not have this disorder. As for now if there is ANYTHING I can do please let me know. I will take your kids anytime or go with you anywhere if you need me to. I wish I lived closer so I could help you out, like take your kids when they get sick. We pray for Keo and you and Chris everyday to have strength to fight this. We love you guys.

Kimberly said...

Erin, it's Kimberly (Bodell), and I just wanted you to know that we are all thinking of you and your sweet family. We will be praying for you. I am so proud of you for remaining so strong. I know you are such a great blessing of strength to all of your boys! Hang in there and keep smiling, and know you've got lots of people here for you! He is a very beautiful boy!! Hugs!!

Sarah said...

Oh wow Erin I'm so sorry you're going through this. He is such a beautiful little boy and I'm amazed at how strong you sound. First of all stop reading stuff on the internet. That will just freak you out more!!!!!! Wait until you can talk to someone who knows Keo's exact case.
Are you going to be taking him to the Primary Children's in Salt Lake?? I live like 2 blocks from there so if you need anything while you're here let me know (hint hint I want to see you!!!).
We are praying for you!!!

Brizzee said...

Erin, I can't believe what you have been going through. I hope everything is going okay. He is so stinkin adorable. He doesn't have as much hair as the other ones. Anyway, I totally want to help out whenever you need me. Please Please don't hesitate to call. My Logan loves your boys. You are being so strong. It is an amazing comfort to know Heavenly Father is your support. Please let me help okay.

Darla and Kirk Nuttall said...

HOLY COW!!! Erin I am so sorry. That is some scary stuff. We will keep you in our prayers. If you need something let me know. I wish I could take the boys for you when you need, but let me know seriously if there is anythings else I can do. If you need a meal or whatever. We will do what we can. I hope everything turns out okay and I know heavenly father knows whats best for our babes, but it is way hard to hand it over to him. Keep strong! Your a great mom. Call me and I am not kidding, if you need me. Your friend, Darla

Judy said...

Erin, of course, you are in our thoughts and prayers. Please let us know if there is anything we can do. You are an amazing person, with an amazing spirit. I sure do love ya!

Anonymous said...

Erin, I just wanted to tell you how sorry I am, you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. I also wanted to extend my house to you if you need it, if and when you come to SLC to Primary Childrens Hospital. I live in Farmington and so it's not to far away from the hospital. Also if you need anything while you are here or just someone to talk to you can always call. My # is 801-455-9456.

Sarah said...

Oh and you need my number 801-809-3581. Call or text me anytime!!!

Karen said...

Erin, I am so impressed at your strength in Heavenly Father. It reminds me of something I once heard... at one point or another there isn't anything in life that is so secure that it won't let you down, our friends, our cars, money, family, even our wonderful husbands might let us down in some way, but the Lord is a constant, if we turn to him, he will get us through anything that life brings. Crappy things happen sometimes, but great things happen too. We never realized quite how lucky we are until something points it out. You are so lucky to have SUCH a beautiful baby boy. Good luck with all the tests and I'll pray for strength for you and your darling family!
I wish I lived closer than Maryland, so that I could help :) I MISS YOU TONS!
Karen

Leah Stallings Fine Art Photography said...

Erin,

I had no idea! I will be including you and your family in my prayers!! What a cute little baby! I hope to meet him soon! All your boys are so sweet! I don't know how you do it all!!!

Audrey said...

Erin, could Keo get any cuter?? I don't think so!!
I hope everything went well in Salt Lake today!
Honestly, if you ever need anything let me know! I know Bobbi is right there and much closer BUT if she is busy or gone please please call me if you need someone to take the older boys or bring you food or anything! Today when Bobbi brought Cole and Rook over (while she was getting her hair done) after they left Dawson says to me "mom, that boy Cole, not my brother Cole but the other Cole, he is the nicest boy and I like him a lot!"
What good little adorable and nice kids you guys have!

kerstin said...

Erin, I hope everything is ok. We are thinking about you and your family and praying for little Keo. He is SO cute, his eyes have the sweetest look to them. If you need anything, even just to vent, please call me, I'm only 10 mins away!

The Cooks said...

ERIN!! I had no idea...I've been MIA in blogging and neighborly socials lately. I really hope everything goes well for Keo - I am touched by your testimony/faith through all of this. We are praying for your little family. Also, those pictures of Keo are adorable!!